Monday, November 19

Paint Chip Cake Card

As seen in the Aug/Sept 2008 issue of Paper Crafts magazine!


Yep! That's right folks! It's yet another card made from a Paint Chip! This time I thought I would stay away from the Christmas theme and go with something a little more generic. I created this to be an anniversary card, but it could easily work as a wedding or birthday card with just a few minor changes.

I began by cutting off the sides containing the text and rounded corners of my Behr 5"x6" paint chip. Next I trimmed off the darkest color, leaving me with three swatches. Instead of separating the three colors, I decided to keep the paint chip in one piece. I removed 3/8" from each side of the middle color and 3/4" from each side of the lightest color. I also trimmed some off of the top of the lightest swatch to make the top "tier" shorter, and rounded the top and bottom corners.

To decorate my cake, I added mini paper blossoms and accented some of the flowers with pearls. I finished it with some rub-on swirls. Finally I adhered the cake to the card base with foam tape. I also designed a coordinating envelope created from the discarded pieces of my paint chip.

Bonus Tip! When working with delicate items like paper flowers and adhesive dots, don't pull up on the flower to remove it from the adhesive's liner -- you will most likely tear the flower. Instead, use a craft knife or other metal tool (I like to use my paper piercer) to go between the adhesive and the liner and lift from there.

Supplies:
  • Cardstock: Assorted Box of Cards by DCWV
  • Accents: Neutral Mix Mini Blossoms & Doodles rub-ons by Making Memories; Wedding Adhesive Pearls by K&Company
  • Adhesive: foam tape by Scotch; Mini adhesive dots by Glue Dots
  • Tools: retro flower punch by EK Success; hole punch
  • Other: paint chip by Behr

Finished Size 4.25" x 5.5"
For more pics of my Paint Chip Cake card, check out my online portfolio.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy!

(Your DH)

Lisa said...

I adore what you've been doing with paint chips these days, keep bringing the great ideas, love them!!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and creative, thanks for your tip with the glue dots and paper flowers, will have to try that one!
Conniecrafter

Cindy deRosier said...

I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your cute card! You can see it here:

http://funfamilycrafts.com/paint-chip-cake-card/

Thanks for a wonderful project idea!