Saturday, October 4

They're Creepy and They're Kooky...

Well, perhaps I should say "They're CUTESY and they're kooky..."

They're my Halloween Paint Chip Cards that I designed for my World Card Making Day Challenge!

I designed two cards for my Challenge. The first is a quick and easy, simple card in the shape of that enduring Halloween treat... Candy Corn! This was a very easy pattern to create. I based the size on the usable (non-printed) portion of my Behr paint chip. The fold of the card is along the long edge of the left side of the candy. Just for fun, I decided to decorate my card with a goofy face. I know, I know... technically candy corn has a yellow base, orange center, and white tip. Oh well. I think it still looks like candy corn!

The second card that I designed is definitely a bit more complex. And perhaps just a teensy bit creepy. It's my Frankenstein's Monster Paint Chip Card! I really like how this one turned out. I again used a Behr paint chip -- I like its larger size -- and just trimmed off the manufacturer's text along the left side. The base of the card is a 12" piece of orange cardstock trimmed the width of my paint chip. Part of the fun aspect of this design is that it is a gatefold card that opens at Frankie's mouth!

Another fun aspect of this card was in the design of the monster's face. I kept moving different shapes around to find the appropriate expression. At one point, Frankie was lookin' kinda Veggie Tales. Later it was more Sesame Streetesque. You know, like the taller, yellower half of that popular duo, Bert and Ernie. Must be the unibrow...

: : :

In honor of World Card Making Day, here is the complete tutorial for my Candy Corn Paint Chip Card!

Supplies:
  • Cardstock: black by DMD; green, white
  • Accents: Leaf Self-Adhesive Felt Decorations from Scrapbooking line from Target Stores
  • Tools: 1-3/8" and 1" circle punch from EK Success; 5/8" circle punch from Marvy Uchida; hole puncher; Xyron sticker maker
  • Other: paint chip by Behr; patterns (right-click to download)
Instructions:
  1. Cut black cardstock and paint chip following patterns. Fold cardstock in half along dashed line. Adhere paint chip to front of card.
  2. Punch one 1-3/8" circle from black CS. Cut in half to form "mouth." Punch two 1" circles from white CS. Punch two 5/8" circles from green CS. Punch two small circles from black CS using hole puncher.
  3. Adhere circles to paint chip to form eyes.
  4. Freeform cut out "tooth." Adhere to mouth. Adhere mouth to paint chip.
  5. Adhere felt leaf to top of card for "hair."

Tip: To cut patterns from black CS, print pattern on white paper. Adhere to black CS using removable tape. Cut along lines and remove white paper.

Finished Size approx 3.75" x 4.5"
Enjoy, and Happy World Card Making Day!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! OMG!!!!! Halloween is my all time favorite card making season (and holiday in general!)...This Frank is INCREDIBLE!!!! PLEASE post the instructions so I may (attempt) to recreate your card!! LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

They are so cute! I left you love over on the CK gallery site and added them to my favs!
sandee
CKMB

Elaine said...

These are so fun and cute!

Anonymous said...

That candy corn card is the cutest thing!!! What an adorable and fun card and using the paint chip is such a great idea.

Janice W. said...

These are so cute! You are so talented!
Janice :)

Jennie Skaggs said...

These are darling. You are so creative.

Anonymous said...

I am so extremely impressed! These are truly inspiring. I don't celebrate Halloween but these certainly make me want to send out some Halloween greetings to my friends and family! =) Thanks for sharing.

just me and z said...

these are just darling! you did a great job!! i will definitely have to try these out. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela ,
I’m one of the Editors at AllFreeHolidayCrafts.com and I just wanted to let you know that I have linked to your project on our site. You can see the project here:
http://www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com/Halloween-Craft-Ideas/Paint-Chip-Monster-Cards

I think it’s a great project that our readers will just love to make! This will easily bring traffic to your site and allow others to see what’s new on your site.
Please note that our site is currently under construction. We are working on the design and are constantly adding more projects, so please check back in the coming weeks and months to see its development!

We're hoping that by reaching out we'll hear back from you. With that said, can we have permission to link to any project on your site as well as use the image, with credit to you, of course?
Also, we would love it if you would include a link back from your site to ours. Whether it’s on your blog roll, in an “As Featured On” section, a quick link from the original blog post, or a new blog post, any shout-out would be appreciated! If you do post a link, please shoot me a quick email to let me know.
Thanks!

-Ryan Simmons
Rsimmons@primcecp.com

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said...

These are so stinkin' adorable!

I'm working on a post for TLC's Parentables. I will be compiling ideas of things you can make with paint chips. May I have your permission to use one of your photos and link to this post?

Sincerely,
Brittany (aka Pretty Handy Girl)

Angela Sgro said...

Thanks for the attention from all you creative people and websites out there! I am very flattered!

You are welcome to link to my page(s) and use any associated image(s), providing that the site clearly gives credit for both to Angela Sgro Designs.

And please let me know of any linked project with a comment on my blog. I would love to see where my creations pop up!

Also, any actual recreation of my designs are for personal use only, and are not to be used for resale or contests.

Thanks again!

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said...

I'm writing a round up style post for TLC's Parentables.com website and would love to share your halloween craft project.

May I have permission to use a photo and link back to your post?

Sincerely,
Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl

Stephani said...

This is such a cute idea. I love the Candy Corn one. I'm putting together a "Candy Corn Crazy" post for October. Would you mind if I used one picture and a link back to your page?

Stephani said...

Featuring your awesome idea on my blog today! Feel free to check it out!

http://anisfavoritethings.blogspot.com/2011/10/candy-corn-crazy-and-few-other-fall.html

Thanks for such a great idea!

Kate said...

Hi, Angela,

I'm an EFL teacher in Taiwan. I just saw your post and really love this great idea!! Actually, me and my friends really enjoy reading your blog and appreciating your creative teaching ideas. I am wondering if it is welcome that I share those adorable card-making idea on my facebook page with a photo and a direct link to your blog with other EFL teachers?? It will certainly inspire most of them!

best,
Kate

Angela Sgro said...

Miss Shiu,

You are welcome to link to my page(s) and use any associated photo(s), providing that the site clearly gives credit for both to Angela Sgro Designs.

Thanks again!

Cindy deRosier said...

I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your cards! You can see them here:

http://funfamilycrafts.com/halloween-paint-chip-cards/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a great idea!

testing 1 said...

Hi my name is Dawn and I just included your paint chip card in my Frankenstein party idea round up. This won't go live until tomorrow 6 a.m. PT but I'm sharing the link now because I will forget. Thank you so much for letting us share! http://dawnypoo.blogspot.com/2013/10/its-halloweek-frankenstein-party-ideas.html