Monday, October 8

File Folder Accordion Albums

These are two projects that I created for my very first swap! (For those of you who do not know, a swap is a popular way to trade supplies and creativity with other crafters.) This particular swap was hosted by a Paper Crafts Magazine Message Board member, and required each participant to create two albums based on Kristina Werner's tutorial. Kristina designed her patterns using half of a manila file folder. I chose to use double-sided card stock instead and secured it with a coordinating ribbon bow. The book opens to reveal four sentiment tags tucked inside individually decorated pockets.

I designed the first one, which I titled "Enjoy," using a olive and orange color scheme with pops of deep red. I decided to go with a floral theme, and added different paper flowers on the cover and each pocket. I accented the small flowers with dimensional fabric paint and the larger cover flowers with brads. As a final touch, I drew dotted swirls with a white gel pen and tied it all together with a bright cheery orange and yellow ribbon.

For the sentiments, I decided to go with a whole relaxation and pampering theme. I chose words like "enjoy," "have fun," "celebrate," and "smile" for the tags.

Supplies:
  • Card stock: Mustard/Green Stripe from the Wild Asparagus collection by My Mind's Eye
  • Patterned Paper: Tangerine Beach Blossoms from the Scrapbook Walls collection by Chatter Box
  • Paper Flowers: All About Me from the Sweet N Sassy Floral Embellishments line and Press N Petals, both by Prima
  • Brads: Making Memories
  • Rub-Ons: Making Memories and American Crafts
  • Ribbon: Michaels Stores
: : :

I decided to go with a more masculine tone and more subdued colors for my second album, which I titled "Inspiration."

I chose a polka-dotted card stock in soft greens and browns. I picked natural embellishments, like the silk leaf and the paper flowers. To add to the masculine effect, I attached metal accents on the pockets and covers. I included some faux stitching on one of the pockets.

Finally I secured the entire album with a dark/light chocolate brown ribbon.



For the sentiments, I chose all inspirational words and included a quote by Henry David Thoreau. The tags say "create," "imagine," "dream," and "inspire."

Humorous side note... When I showed my husband this card and told him it was my "masculine" version, he pointed out that "it still has flowers." It was his suggestion that maybe the flowers would be more acceptable if I made it look like a scientific illustration. Hence the little tag with the Latin name "bellis perennis." And guess what! I like that added touch! Thanks, hubby! (BTW, bellis perennis is a daisy.)

Supplies:
  • Card stock: "Cherish" Dots/Brown paper from the Wild Asparagus collection by My Mind's Eye
  • Patterned Paper: Fence Stripe from the Scrapbook Walls collection by Chatter Box
  • Paper Flowers: Press N Petals by Prima
  • Silk Leaf: Michaels Stores
  • Brads, Eyelets & Snaps: Making Memories
  • Ribbon: Michaels Stores
Finished Size approx. 3" x 5 5/8" closed and 11.5" x 5 5/8" open.
Want to see more of these albums? Check them out in my online portfolio!

No comments: