Tuesday, October 30

Christmas Clippies!

Ok, I know I'm pushing the season a little... But I just wanted to share these with you. I created these today for a daily challenge on Paper Craft magazine's message board.

These are called clippies in the paper crafting/scrapbooking world. Clippies are bookmarks made by altering jumbo paper clips. I got my paper clips from WalMart, but they are available in most office supply stores. Splitcoaststampers.com has a great, easy-to-follow tutorial on making clippies here.

My Christmas Clippies were very quick and easy to create. First I ran my patterned cardstock through my Xyron sticker maker to apply adhesive to the back. Then I adhered the paper to my cardboard. Next I punched out the patterned circles with my 1" circle punch. (See tip below.) I used a similar technique with my solid cardstock and my 1.25" punch to create two larger circles per bookmark. I adhered the smaller, patterned circle to the front of one of the larger circles, and a piece of folded ribbon to the back of the other solid circle. Finally, I attached both circles to my jumbo paper clip with a pop-up Glue Dot. I would have used a stronger liquid adhesive (like Liquid Nails or E6000), however someone neglected to completely close the cap on her glue, and now someone has a brick of glue stuck in a tube... Oh well...

Bonus Tip! To perfectly center my punch around my patterned circles, I use my punches upside down for more precise placement.

Supplies:
  • Patterned Cardstock: Letters to Santa from Candy Cane Lane collection
    by Imaginisce
  • Cardstock: Textured Adhesive Matstack by DCWV
  • Fibers: red & cream grosgrain ribbon from Target Stores
  • Adhesive: Craft & Pop-Up adhesive dots by Glue Dots
  • Tools: sticker maker by Xyron; 1" & 1-1/4" circle punches by EK Success
  • Other: 3.5" Paper Clips from Walmart; chipboard (aka used cereal box!)
    courtesy of Kellogg's
Finished Size Approx. 1.25" x 3", exclusive of ribbon

No comments: