Monday, July 23

Hawaiian Shirt Tutorial

I've gotten so many requests for the template and instructions for my Hawaiian Shirts, that I decided to post the tutorial here.

Remember that this template is for personal or not-for-profit use only (no commercial gain) and if you use it, please give me credit as the designer. I'd also love to see what you do with the template -- feel free to email me a photo of your finished creation!

Materials:
  • Template
  • Patterned Paper
    (small pattern is more effective)
  • 6” x 12” Solid Cardstock (to coordinate with PP)
  • Mini circle brads
  • Adhesive
    (Any adhesive should work to glue the pp & cs together. I’ve used both my tape runner and Xyron successfully. However, I do recommend a very strong paper adhesive like Scotch's Quick Dry Tacky Adhesive for step 4.)
  • Paper piercer or pushpin
  • Computer & printer
  • Ruler
  • Exacto and/or scissors
  • Bone Folder

Step 1:
Download template.

Print template at 100% on wrong sides of solid and patterned paper and cut out pieces on solid lines.

Note: I designed the pattern so that I could get 2 shirts from one 12” x 12” piece of solid cardstock. If your printer cannot accept this size paper, the pattern also fits on 8.5” x 11” paper @100%.



Step 2:
Glue patterned paper to front shirt pieces.

Glue lapels on top.

(Note: align pp with outside edges of shirt; some solid paper should show on inside edge to make shirt placket)



Step 3:

With the wrong side facing you, score back of shirt on dashed lines using a ruler and a bone folder or stylus.

Fold on scored lines.






Step 4:

Flip the shirt over.

Apply glue to the front of the shirt
on outside folded areas only (sleeves & shirt sides).

Glue shirt fronts to shirt back.


I recommend using a very strong adhesive (like Scotch's Quick Dry Tacky Adhesive) for this step.






Step 5:

Poke holes at dots with paper piercer or pushpin and attach brads.











Your shirt is done!
Finished Size 5" x 4.375"

Optional: attach business card-sized sentiment with adhesive dots or gift card with removable adhesive dots

Variation: punch a hole in the shirt to turn it into a cute gift tag!


For additional versions of this shirt, see my portfolio...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,
The tutorial is so professional. Love your website! The Hawaiian shirt cards are so cute!!
Janice W. pcmb

Denise said...

Great tutorial, had to file it away for myself! And had to tag you! YOU ROCK GIRL!
You can pick up your award on my blog:
http://isittuesdayyetma.blogspot.com/

Peggy Maier said...

Thanks for the tutorial. It was so easy to follow & my shirt was perfect! Your work is so pretty - & thanks again for sharing!

Disney Mummy said...

This tutorial is WONDERFUL! I'm turning 40 this year and we're going to have a luau birthday party. Your lovely template is perfect for making our invitations.

Gaby said...

Wow, these Hawaiian Shirt Cards are really awesome.
Thanks for the great tutorial.